|LEGO → System → TECHNIC|
42113 Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey is a TECHNIC set that was supposed to be released on August 1, 2020. On July 21, 2020, the set was canceled due in part to the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey's frequent use in the military, under the pressure of German protests.
The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey is an American multi-mission, tiltrotor military aircraft with both vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) and short takeoff and landing (STOL) capabilities. It is designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft.
The failure of Operation Eagle Claw during the Iran hostage crisis in 1980 underscored the requirement for a long-range, high-speed, vertical-takeoff aircraft for the United States Department of Defense (DoD). In response, the Joint-service Vertical take-off/landing Experimental (JVX) aircraft program started in 1981. A partnership between Bell Helicopter and Boeing Helicopters was awarded a development contract in 1983 for the V-22 tiltrotor aircraft. The Bell Boeing team jointly produce the aircraft. The V-22 first flew in 1989 and began flight testing and design alterations; the complexity and difficulties of being the first tiltrotor for military service led to many years of development.
The United States Marine Corps (USMC) began crew training for the MV-22B Osprey in 2000 and fielded it in 2007; it supplemented and then replaced their Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knights. The U.S. Air Force (USAF) fielded their version of the tiltrotor, CV-22B, in 2009. Since entering service with the U.S. Marine Corps and Air Force, the Osprey has been deployed in transportation and medevac operations over Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Kuwait. The U.S. Navy plans to use the CMV-22B for carrier onboard delivery duties beginning in 2021.
|This is a description taken from LEGO.com. Do not modify it. (visit this item’s product page)|
Give aircraft lovers an amazing insight into how the powerful Bell™ Boeing™ V-22 Osprey™ tiltrotor aircraft works with this highly-detailed LEGO® Technic™ aircraft playset (42113). Kids and adults aged 11 and up will love building an authentic motorized replica of the famous multi-mission aircraft.
Packed with realistic details for imaginative play
Awesome toys for kids who love a building challenge
- This model was withdrawn following a series of protests by the German Peace Society. Specifically they pointed out that, even though the model itself is presented in a civilian color scheme to avoid violating LEGO's nonviolence policy, the actual V-22 is strictly a military vehicle and as such a licensed model of it provides money to weapons manufacturers.
- This makes it one of the few LEGO sets to be cancelled due to protests.
- Despite being cancelled, many copies of the set were sold initially and are since being sold for highly inflated prices online.
- Brickset, Official: Technic Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey cancelled, reporting an official statement from LEGO, retrieved July 21 on https://brickset.com/article/52715/official-technic-bell-boeing-v-22-osprey-cancelled
- Brickfinder, LEGO Technic Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey (42113) Faces Cancellation, describing the role of German Peace Society and of planned protests ahead of LEGO Stores in Germany, retrieved July 21 on http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/07/20/lego-technic-bell-boeing-v-22-osprey-42113-cancel/