- This article is about The LEGO Movie character. For the Bob the Builder excavator or the Classic Space minifigure he is based on, see Benny (Bob the Builder) and Blue Classic Spaceman.
- "Hi! I'm Ben! But you can call me Benny! And I can build a Spaceship!"
- ―Benny in The LEGO Movie
- ―Benny when he built a spaceship
He is voiced by Charlie Day in the film and LEGO Dimensions and by Mark Silverman in the video game adaption.
Benny wears a cracked, bright blue space helmet. Benny's head is yellow, with black pupil-less eyes and a huge, open mouthed smile. He has a red tongue that is visible. Benny's torso is completely bright blue with the faded, classic space logo. He wears a bright blue jet pack as well. Benny's legs are completely bright blue. His helmet is cracked on the chin strap area because many of the classic spacemen's helmets got cracked in that area due to the plastic being too thin.
In the recent trailer, it’s shown that in the sequel, his right arm has been replaced with a prosthetic metal arm, which indicates that his real arm was most likely lost during the invasion.
The original version of Benny came out in 1984, in set 6824 "Space Dart", thus him being called "1980-something space guy" by Vitruvius. Since he is an old minifigure, he has a worn out appearance with his chest logo being partially erased and his helmet cracked at one spot. The cracked part on his helmet is said to cause oxygen to leak from his suit, which is alleged to affect his brain.
As a result, Benny holds an all-too-happy attitude and short-term attention span to everything but those involving spaceships, even getting so excited, his vocabulary completely turns into yells of "SPACESHIP!" However, when times call for extended travel between worlds, his vast knowledge turns invaluable to those whom need it--and an undamaged spacesuit, too.
In "The LEGO Movie", he attended the meeting of the Master Builders in Cloud Cuckoo Land. He soon appears to help Emmet and the gang by building a spaceship, but after soon learning the skies were surrounded by the Super Secret Police, he breaks the spaceship with disapointment. After being rescued by Metalbeard, he soon teams up with him to infiltrate the Octan tower. He finally has the chance to build a spaceship when the gang needs to get out of the tower.
After the events of The LEGO Movie, it is revealed that Benny built 724 spaceships.
After the DUPLO Aliens attack Bricksburg, he lost his arm and got taken to the Systar System.
|This is a description taken from LEGO.com. Do not modify it.|
This ‘70s era spaceman suffers from a cracked helmet and lack of oxygen. His first love will always be spaceships but he will do anything to help his fellow LEGO Master Builders.
- Benny's helmet crack was based on proneness of the classic spaceman's helmet to crack.
- Benny reuses Dr. Inferno's robot arm.
- Benny's trademark in Master Building is anything "big, blue, and pointy"--as Bad Cop puts it--and compatible with technologies from the 1980s.
- He is the first LEGO minifigure to be intentionally designed as broken, with the crack in his helmet.
- Despite being adept with old space technologies, he is unable to decipher more modern ones like those in Business' computer room. Or, they are just unable to decipher him.
- On LEGO.com, he is described to be from the 70s as the original classic spacemen were first released in 1978 as some of the world's first minifigures, but they weren't released in blue until 1984.
- Physics frequently seem to warp around Benny as though he's outside Earth's atmosphere. He's occasionally seen floating around, as he would in a low-gravity environment, and as noted above, oxygen leaking from his helmet is a problem for him, even though he should be able to breathe that outside.
- Despite not being seen with teeth in the Movies, The LEGO Movie Videogame and The LEGO Movie 2 Videogame show him with teeth.
- In The LEGO Movie Videogame, He is instantly Unlocked after completing the level "Attack on Cloud Cuokoo Land." Even if you never met him.
Gallery of Variants
- 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow
- 70816 Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
- 70818 Double-Decker Couch
- 71214 LEGO Movie Benny Fun Pack
- 70821 Emmet and Benny's 'Build and Fix' Workshop!
- 70834 MetalBeard's Heavy Metal Motor Trike!
- 70841 Benny's Space Squad
- 70837 Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa!
- 71023 The LEGO Movie 2 Collectible Minifigures
- 70848 Systar Party Crew
Video Game Appearances
[[70810 M … 70816 Benny's Spaceship<br />70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow<br />70818 Double-Decker Couch<br />71214 LEGO Movie Benny Fun Pack'"`UNIQ--nowiki-00000002-QINU`"'<br />70841 Benny's Space Squad<br/>70821 Emmet and Benny's 'Build and Fix' Workshop!<br/>70834 MetalBeard's Heavy Metal Motor Trike!<br/>71023 The LEGO Movie 2 Collectible Minifigures71023 The LEGO Movie 2 Collectible Minifigures +