- This article is about Nightwing out of costume. For Dick Grayson in costume, see Nightwing.
Young Richard John "Dick" Grayson was adopted by Bruce Wayne after his circus performer parents were killed by criminals led by gangster leader Tony Zucco. Once he discovered Bruce's secret, Dick became Batman's sidekick Robin and fought crime alongside him for several years.
After an argument with Bruce following a near-death experience facing the Joker, Dick left Gotham City and formed a new superhero team called the Teen Titans. He continued his alias as Robin until he was mentored by Superman, whereas he became inspired to create his new personal title of Nightwing. He occasionally returns to Gotham City whenever Bruce needs him most, and stands as an ally of Batman once again.
For now he makes trips between teams, and is close friends with members of each: Tim Drake (Robin), Commissioner Gordon, and his daughter and Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) from Gotham City; as well as Beast Boy, Cyborg, Supergirl, and Starfire from the Teen Titans.
In the New 52 comics, when the Crime Syndicate came from their Earth, they exposed Nightwing's identity. Unable to return to being Nightwing, he became a secret agent working for Spyral. He is now known as Agent 37.
As of 2016, Dick Grayson has returned to his mantle as Nightwing. But he lost memory after a gun shot accident.
Gallery of Variants
LEGO Batman Movie
Sometimes a celebrity billionaire who’s trying to show off at a big gala event accidentally adopts an orphan kid. It probably happens all the time, right? Well, Dick Grayson is that kid, and he can’t believe his good luck in getting a cool new dad like Bruce Wayne, with a huge empty mansion and his own personal butler. He can’t wait to find out all about his brand-new family and for his first family photo! Bat-Fact: Might have some circus training or something?
Hip hip hooray! Here on his very first vacation trip, Robin™ has a brand-new Super Hero dad, a brand-new Bat-family to call his own, and even a brand-new ice cream cone full of scoops of tasty frozen goodness. He’s going to treasure all three of them forever and ever and ever…whoops, ice cream melts, doesn’t it? Better eat fast, Boy Wonder!
What could be more exciting for an average kid than getting adopted by a super-cool, super-rich Super Hero like Batman™? Dick Grayson™ can hardly wait to explore the Batcave. It’s full of amazing souvenirs from Batman’s past adventures, like the can of Shark Repellent Bat Spray that his hero has given him! Now, where can he find a shark?
- 76052 Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave (1966)
- 70908 The Scuttler (The LEGO Batman Movie)
- 71017 The LEGO Batman Movie Series (The LEGO Batman Movie)
- 70923 The Bat-Space Shuttle (The LEGO Batman Movie)
Video Game Appearances
- Though in console versions of LEGO Batman: The Videogame, Dick Grayson is only playable as Nightwing, his face is available for use in the character creator.
- His Batman variant has the same torso as Fedora.
- In LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Robin's alter ego is named "Dick Grayson" as a mistake. However, at this point in the continuity, Dick is Nightwing. According to LEGO.com, Robin is Tim Drake in LEGO Batman 2, as Robin's civillian identity is shown as Tim Drake in the game. However, they updated the website to say Dick Grayson to match the game.
- In LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, Dick Grayson appears as Robin (1966), Nightwing, and Agent Grayson.