Dinosaurs was a LEGO theme introduced in 2001. The theme included different species of dinosaurs, in adult forms as well as smaller younger forms. The sets from the series did not include any minifigures. The theme was the origin of the building style for many animals released in later years, such as the Dewback in 4501 Mos Eisley Cantina.
The four larger sets (6719-6722) were packaged in plastic canisters. The canisters were black and approximately rectangular. They had the appearance of a block of stone, with "fossilized" bones being visible. The lid also served as a stand for the finished dinosaur model, even though it could be difficult to place them on it without the dinosaur falling over.
Boxes and Polybags
The sets 5950 to 5953 and 7000 to 7003 were the smaller sets of the theme, containing the baby / young versions of certain dinosaur species. The only difference between 5950 to 5953 and 7000 to 7003 was their packaging; the former came in polybags; the latter, in boxes.
The four main dinosaurs, packaged in canisters, included additional pieces to rebuild the main dinosaur into another:
- 6719 Brachiosaurus could be rebuilt into a Diplodocus, Plateosaurus and a Plesiosaurus.
- 6720 Tyrannosaurus Rex could be rebuilt into an Ouranosaurus, Parasaurolophus and a Spinosaurus.
- 6721 Mosasaurus could be rebuilt into a Dimetrodon, Iguanodon and a Postosuchus.
- 6722 Styracosaurus could be rebuilt into a Camarasaurus, Centrosaurus and a Triceratops.
These are smaller sets in the theme that came in boxes and polybags, all released in 2001.
- 5950 Baby Ankylosaurus (polybag version, same as 7000)
- 5951 Baby Iguanodon (polybag version, same as 7001)
- 5952 Baby Brachiosaurus (polybag version, same as 7002)
- 5953 Baby Dimetrodon (polybag version, same as 7003)
- 7000 Young Ankylosaurus (box version, same as 5950)
- 7001 Young Iguanodon (box version, same as 5951)
- 7002 Young Brachiosaurus (box version, same as 5952)
- 7003 Young Dimetrodon (box version, same as 5953)
- K7000 Dinosaurs Kit
The instructions shows images of the alternative models.
- Although the main dinosaurs include additional parts to build alternative dinosaur models, the four possible dinosaurs cannot be built at the same time.
- The smaller sets resemble the larger in childhood forms, with every set having an adult counterpart, except for 5950 Baby Ankylosaurus / 7000 Young Ankylosaurus.
- In each instruction book, there is a page with a prehistoric-style landscape printed on it, intended as a place for the dinosaur to walk.
- 6719 Brachiosaurus can also be rebuilt into Iguanodon and 6721 Mosasaurus can also be rebuilt into Plesiosaurus.