| This minifigure has only appeared in television episode(s)|
Although this article is about an official minifigure, it never existed in physical form or appeared in any official LEGO sets.
- "You were built to protect those that cannot protect themselves."
- ―Dr. Julien to Zane
Dr. Julien is a character of the Ninjago theme. He appeared as Zane's creator in the first season of Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. Although first assumed dead, he reappeared in the second season as he was revealed to be revived by Samukai just after his death. However, Cyrus Borg mentions that he died for good in the third season.
Father and Son
His origins are unknown, but he originally lived in a fortress built in Birchwood forest, guarded by a Juggernaut, built to defend to place against Treehorns. He was visited by the Master of Ice, who passed his powers on to Zane, and by Master Wu while still young enough that his hair was brown.
He spent most of his life with his "son" and he taught Zane to do many everyday things. Although Zane was created from scrap parts, he was made with a unique power source, with is currently unknown. When he was on his death bed, he told Zane he was made to protect those who cannot protect themselves and that he needed to move on to the next stage in life. Before he passed away, he switched off Zane's memory switch so he could not hurt Zane with loss.
In the next season, it is revealed that he is still alive and held captive in a deserted jail in the middle of a vast sea. It turns out that shortly after his death, Samukai visited him and revived him with a potion, forcing him to build powerful skeleton machines that would aid him in attacking Ninjago. To avoid him escaping, Samukai prisoned him on an island chained a large sea creature called Leviathan at the bottom of the sea as a guard. Due to Samukai's death, he was not freed and stayed in the prison for a long time.
In "The Last Voyage" he was meet with the Ninja and reunited with Zane. He then told them about his revival and imprisonment. He and the Ninja them fixed the broken Destiny's Bounty and escaped from the island. He has since aided and lived alongside them in the events leading to the final battle between Lloyd and the Overlord.
In the third season, it is revealed that he died from unknown reasons (it is likely his age caught up with him or the potion which revived him had wore out), and Zane secretly mourns losing him again. Cyrus Borg comforts him in hinting that he and his father knew and worked together.
In the end of the season, when Zane sacrificed himself to the Golden Master and was near his death, he remembered everything he did with his father, so Dr Julien appeared in flashbacks informing him to "protect those who cannot protect themselves.
It was later revealed that when Dr. Julien was trapped in the lighthouse, he had created a second Nindroid based on Zane's blueprints. However, he did not turn out to be as advanced as the original Zane. "Echo Zane" was discovered by Jay and Nya when they hid in the lighthouse from Nadakhan and his Misfortune's Crew.
Day of the Departed
In Day of the Departed, Zane visits a statue of Dr. Julien located near his old lab in celebration of the holiday; it is later shattered by General Cryptor, who refers to Julien as "our [his and Zane's] dad."
- The Falcon
- The Juggernaut robot, as the Falcon and the robot have the same symbol
- The tree fortress, because his symbol is on the door
- The Skulkin's Battalion
- Cole's Earth Driller
- Kai's Fire Mech in conjunction with Nya
- Echo Zane
- "You were always the son I never had..." - Dr. Julien to Zane
- "The only reason I'm about to do this is because I love you. -Dr. Julien to Zane before turning his memory off
- "And believe me when I say, I thought I was kaput!" - Dr. Julien to Zane
- "I may not be able to fight, but I can fly!" - Dr. Julien after blocking a missile with the Destiny's Bounty
- In his old age he looks very similar to Jay's father Ed. Another similarity is his love of inventing.
- He has the same hair as Ed Walker and Count Dooku's Clone Wars variant.
- In "The Last Voyage", he told Zane that he never taught him to cook, but in the flashbacks in "Tick Tock", he and Zane are shown making soup together.
- His name has been officially proven as Dr. Julien in LEGO Ninjago: Character Encyclopedia. His name was never mentioned on the TV show.
- In subtitles, he was called "the tinkerer"
- The fourth season stated that the Elemental Powers comes from an original Elemental Masters. It also said that they are passed down each generation. This could mean:
- The element is connected to Zane's power source, which makes more sense as cutting it in half reduced his Spinjitzu power.
- Although he was captured by the Skulkin in Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, in LEGO Ninjago: Secret World of the Ninja it was mentioned that he was captured by the Stone Army.
- "Season 1"
- "Tick Tock" (flashback)
- "Season 2"
- "Season 3"
- Day of the Departed (statue)
- "Season 8"
- "Snake Jaguar" (flashback)