- "I am a Master Builder!"
- ―Emmet, announcing his newfound self-identity
Emmet has been working most of his life on the construction site as an instruction worker in the city of Bricksburg. He longs to be popular, but his co-workers hardly notice he's there. He lives life by the book--literally--and builds things only from the instructions. Because of this, however, he is mostly boring and uncreative, except for at some moment of inspiration, like his inventing the "double decker couch". He is not a fan of adventure or danger either (similar to Bilbo Baggins), both of which give him reason for "freaking out".
One day, however, he stumbles upon the Piece of Resistance while going after Wyldstyle, which makes the Master Builders mistake him as being "The Special", which means he must stop Lord Business from gluing the world together with the Kragle. From that point on, he is caught in a desperate struggle between the powers of order and imagination by Lord Business and the Master Builders, respectively--as well as his self-acceptance in being special in his own ways.
In the final battle, Emmet convinces Lord Business that creativity is not messy or weird, and that it is okay for the people to build brand-new ideas from all the things Business himself had made, which makes him special, too, just like everyone is special. Moved by Emmet's speech and touched by being considered special, Business applies the Piece of Resistance on the Kragle, which soon causes the Kragle to explode, deactivating all of his robot minions and unfreezing his victims (though the real "victims" were saved when the Man Upstairs cleaned the glue off them).
- Emmet's hairpiece is similar to Part 3901, but has hair sticking out in the back, and has lines on it.
- In LEGO Movie the Video Game, Emmet has a new instruction build ability, as do all the other construction workers. They can also use pneumatic drills and wrenches.
- When trying to build in the video game, Emmet and all the other non-Master Builders can't build simple builds without instructions. If he tries, then he puts all the pieces in all the wrong spots. After becoming a Master Builder, however, he gains this ability.
- In the first level of the videogame, Emmet does not have a drill first,but when the player gets the drill in the shed, he will have the ability to drill.
- His face is based on the original smiling minifigure head, but altered to show more emotion. This is why he doesn't have pupils. Finn's Emmet minifigure uses the classic smile, but all of the sets have altered versions.
- Emmet's car is the same car from 3177 Small Car, but in different colours and the addition of mirrors. In the online Glue Escape Racing Game, he has a blue convertible.
- The red brick that's stuck on his back is the "Piece of Resistance", the one item that could stop Lord Business' Kragle. Ironically, the Piece of Resistance is stuck to Emmet's back because it was covered in the Kragle's glue.
- His poncho variant was included with preorders for The LEGO Movie Video Game from EB Games and Gamestop.
- His last name is Brickowski, as revealed by the Junior Novel and Lord Business.
- His hair is the same hair as Sleepyhead's before he combs it as seen in the trailer and the movie itself.
- His pajamas are also the same as Sleepyhead's.
- Emmet's voice actor, Chris Pratt, also plays Star-Lord in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
- He has the most variants in the video game with 15.
- In the LEGO Movie Videogame, his clown variant is shown with pupils in his eyes, despite him not having any.
- The legs on his Hard Hat variant have a smaller ID badge with the name Emmet spelled bigger.
- Western Emmet's hat is different on the actual minifigure than in the movie.
- He has a total of 7 real-life variants.
- It is possible his believing he is the Special is due to his own status as a construction worker, as there are no Master Builders of that occupation. Having the nature to construct things, then, would have given him an edge no other Builder had.
- Upon becoming a Master Builder, his signature style is the traditional construction colors yellow and black hazard-stripes--though he is seen making other smaller things during the final battle.
- 30280 The Piece of Resistance
- 5002204 Western Emmet
- 5002045 Pyjamas Emmet
- 70800 Getaway Glider
- 70801 Melting Room
- 70802 Bad Cop's Pursuit
- 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace
- 70808 Super Cycle Chase
- 70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair
- 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow
- 70814 Emmet's Construction Mech
- 70815 Police Dropship
- 70816 Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
- 71004 The LEGO Movie Series
- The LEGO Movie Exclusive Set