Fabuland was a theme that was introduced in 1979 and discontinued in 1989, making it one of the longest lived themes to date. The theme included many sets depicting the land of Fabuland and introduced Fabuland Figures. These characters had humanoid bodies with various animal heads, which were slightly larger than regular Minifigures but not nearly as large as DUPLO and were designed to be used during transition from DUPLO to regular LEGO.
Fabuland had a unique look, and used regular LEGO bricks and specially designed elements for the theme. Young children could easily put together buildings and vehicles using the unique Fabuland elements such as walls, vehicle elements and roof pieces. The studs on the Fabuland bricks were normal size, but contained many elements that were unique to Fabuland and different from the other themes. As time passed, various Fabuland elements have made a return to the LEGO universe in various themes, such as Harry Potter, Castle, Belville, LEGO Games, 4 Juniors, Star Wars, and SpongeBob SquarePants.
Fabuland was the first LEGO theme to have named characters and written stories about them. The larger sets included an instruction book that depicted the various characters building the set and when the set was completed it contained an additional story about the set and other Fabuland characters that were not in the set. In addition, various storybooks were also sold separately. In 1986 a stop motion puppet animation Fabuland TV series was also produced by Film Fair Productions in the UK entitled "Edward and Friends". "Edward and Friends" aired in Canada on TVO and in the UK. There were a total of 19 episodes released on VHS. There was also a story book line that contained 7 books from the series using stills from the TV show. The episodes were only 5 minutes in length, but they all taught some type of moral story, usually about tolerance or helping others.
The listing below has been divided into 3 different parts.
- When Fabuland was discontinued, the Fabuland area at LEGOLAND Billund was renamed with a DUPLO theme name.
- Over the last decade, Fabuland has become increasingly popular among adult fans of LEGO (AFOLs) for the theme's unique and unusual elements and characteristics.
- Fabuland is shown to be a realm of the LEGO world in The LEGO Movie. Fabu-Fan is a LEGO Movie minifigure, and she is apparently a big fan of Fabuland.
- Although this theme was discontinued, you could still get many sets through online shopping websites such as eBay. ( though they are normally high priced)
- A few minifigures can be seen in the The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and it's video game adaptation. Albeit using normal minifigures pieces for the latter.