|LEGO → Video Games|
|LEGO Stunt Rally|
Single Player, Multiplayer
Windows PC, PlayStation (Unreleased), Game Boy Color
LEGO Stunt Rally is a video game released in 2000. It was published by LEGO Media for the PC and Game Boy Color. A PlayStation version was in development, but for unknown reasons, it was canceled before release. The game features a track builder which allows the player to create a track in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.
The PlayStation version was initially being developed by Intelligent Games, the studio responsible for the PC version. The PlayStation development team at IG went through several staff changes, and progress on the PlayStation version started to lag behind its PC counterpart. Despite the project starting to catch up, LEGO rejected their prototype, and gave the job to Asylum Entertainment instead (who would later go on to develop Galidor: Defenders of the Outer Dimension).
A build of IG's version for PlayStation, dating to early June 2000, was found by one of its developers and posted on video game preservation website Gaming Alexandria on July 15, 2020. While incomplete, it is believed to be the latest build of this version of the game. The campaign is technically playable, but only the city tracks have unique designs, with all following tracks being a simple placeholder city track. Upon completing the final race with Mr. X, the game freezes on the loading screen. The track builder is somewhat functional, but like the rest of the game, has many bugs and placeholders. Most of the track pieces are similar to the final selection in the PC game, the biggest exception being a magnet trap similar to early concept art for the game.
The prototype of IG's PlayStation version also contains names for all the campaign tracks, even though most of the tracks hadn't been created/implemented yet:
- Megahertz Practice Track
- Sandy's Surf Turf Track
- Dodgy Town Track
- Rally Challenge
- Radioactive City
- Dune Buggy Track
- Ghost Town Track
- Pharaoh's Orders Track
- Mexican Mountain Dash
- Baron's Las Vegas Track
- Jungle Beats Track
- Cannibal Village Track
- Sherweird Forest Track
- Inca Temple Track
- Army Tank Training Track
- Ice-track Disco
- Siberian Nightmare Track
- Santa's Reindeer School
- Abominable Snowman Trail
- Glacias Ice Haven Track
- Mr. X Final Level
Little has been seen of Asylum Entertainment's version, though one of its developers claims it was completed, but rejected by LEGO Media.
- Barney: Barney was literally the class brains. He was so good that he left school at the age of five to pursue a career in the mechanic industry. His vehicle is the Dragster.
- Chip: A joker who loves tigers. His vehicle is the Rocket Kart.
- Lucky: A true believer of luck, she likes green and clovers. Her vehicle is from the Mud Monster.
- Wrench: A mechanic whose favorite food is fast food. His vehicle is the Boost Buggy.
- Mega Hurtz: A robot with clip elements for arms.
- Sandy Surf: A happy-go-lucky surfer girl who always seems cheery.
- Sid Vacant: A street gang-like character who seems to always have a bad attitude.
- Brad Speedo: A generic stuntman character. Wears a white suit and helmet reminiscent of Evel Knievel. He is not very bright as he likes to hit himself on the head. He also likes to chew bubble gum, and drives the F1 Racer.
- Radium: Was once a Rock Raider, but was expelled from the program for performing radioactive tests on people. He wears a yellow radioactive suit to protect others from his glowing radiation. He is drives the Rad Truck (a modified version of 2148 LEGO Truck) and is the City Champion.
- Baron Flambo: An oil tycoon, who always has an evil smirk on his face. He plans on unmasking Mr. X and eventually taking over all of Stunt Island. He wears a red suit and top hat. Baron Flambo drives a red Hot Rod and is the desert champion.
- Snake: Once in the Army, he was expelled for being too harsh. He now resides in the Jungle, where he likes to race and eat leaves. He drives a green jeep, and is the Jungle Champion.
- Glacia: An icy cold queen who drives a blue monster truck, the Ice Monster. She is the Arctic champion.
- Mr. X, The World Champion and current owner of Stunt Island. He speaks with a slight British accent. He wears a purple suit and top hat, and a small black mask over his face to protect his identity. He drives the X car, considered the best in the game. He also provides hints and tips to the player.
- You can unlock many items in the game including cars, paint jobs with different themes, and construction items to build your custom tracks.
- The intro FMV of the game has a few minifig cameos seen in previous themes. I order of appearance Baron Von Barron can be seen dropping a container onto Lucky's monster truck, after which Johnny Thunder with Baron Von Barron's torso print can be seen saying "Do it boy!" to a crane operator, that being Slyboots dressed as Baron Von Barron but with two Black hands who answers "Alright, coming up!" and proceeds to move a loop the loop into position. During the last scene some crowd members can be seen with the torso and helmets of the Rock Raiders crew members as LEGO Media International, who made the intro FMV, had previously made these assets for a Rock Raiders comic book.
- Axle of the Rock Raiders can be seen at the start of the podium FMVs and the whole Rock Raiders crew, except Chief, can be seen in the crowd of the outro FMV.
- One of the City scenery items is an advertisement for LEGO Loco.
- Despite the PlayStation version of this game being cancelled, it was later promoted on the back cover of the booklet for the PlayStation version of LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge, presumably meaning that it would have been released in mid 2001.
- There is a DVD-ROM version of the game which contains some bonus material looking at the development of the game as well as a higher quality version of the intro FMV than the one seen at the start of the game. It is currently unknown how or where this version of the game was sold as it has only ever been seen in its own case which does not have a barcode. It has been speculated it was possibly released bundled with a DVD drive but so far no solid proof has been found.
|5712||Windows PC||US $29.99|
|5724||Game Boy Color||US $29.99|
- LEGO Stunt Rally development artwork – Rock Raiders United
- Stunt Rally for Playstation 1 – Rock Raiders United
- Lego Stunt Rally (PSX, Unreleased) – Gaming Alexandria