- This article is about the Orient Expedition minifigure. For the Adventurers Egypt minifigure, see Slyboots.
Lord Sam Sinister, also known by many other names including Baron von Barron (or Baron von Baron), Sam Sinister (or Sam Sanister), Evil Eye, Mr. Hates, and Samuel Von Barron, is the main villain from the Adventurers and Orient Expedition themes. He has a hook in place of his left hand, a pith hat (replaced by a top hat in 2003), a monocle or eyeglass, and a mustache (with small, pointed goatee in 2003), along with a scar on his left cheek. He generally wears a tan shirt, which slightly resembles Johnny Thunder's torso printing. Occasionally, Sinister wears a black version of the said shirt, with a white scarf sporting around his neck. Sinister competes with Johnny Thunder in all of the Adventurers sub-themes (except for the 1999 theme), for ancient artifacts and treasures from around the world.
Sam Sinister's Bio from the Orient Expedition website:
Lord Sinister is Johnny's arch enemy. He is selfish and evil, with no limits to his ambition or greed. He has a huge private collection of ancient and valuable treasures from around the world and is always on the hunt for more.
As with all other Adventurers Egypt characters, Lord Sam Sinister has used a variety of names in different regions and years. This character is considered one of the most notable cases, with LEGO even joking about it occasionally; the Infomaniac wonders if Mr. Hates will change his name, and the Detective's bio mentions the "Sam Sinister Switcheroo" referring to this character switching names with Slyboots.
In North America, the character was originally named Baron von Barron in LEGO Mania Magazine January/February 1998. This name is also used in LEGO Racers, Standing Small: A Celebration of 30 Years of the LEGO Minifigure, and 2856195 LEGO Minifigure Ultimate Sticker Collection. This name has been alternatively spelled Baron von Baron, such as in LEGO Mania Magazine November/December 1998 (which uses both spellings on the same page) and the Shop At Home description for 5955 All Terrain Trapper.
In the United Kingdom, the character was originally named Evil Eye in Bricks 'n' Pieces March/April 1998. This name is corroborated by 5928 Bi-Wing Baron, which is called "5928 Evil Eye's Bi-plane" in the UK. Bricks 'n' Pieces also advertises an Adventurers cartoon using this name.
In Germany, the character was originally named Mr. Hates in LEGO World Club Magazine March/April 1998 as well as in the audio drama Die Jagd nach dem Pharaonenschatz. This name is also used in other countries, as seen in the Danish language version of LEGO Racers and in a Japanese sticker sheet for Dino Island. Notably, this name appears in various English sources, including The Curse of the Mummy - An Interactive Puzzle Book, LEGO Adventures! Magazine Issue 6, and 5774 LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge.
A Swedish print ad[source?] names this character General Galning.
Starting in the Dino Island subtheme, the character was first called Sam Sinister in North America's LEGO Mania Magazine September/October 2000; confusingly, this issue refers to him as "Sam Sinister (aka Baron von Barron)" despite each name belonging to a separate character in the Egypt line. He would continue to be called Sam Sinister in online media such as The Lost Treasure of Ancient Greece and the LEGO Adventurers Minifigure Handbook. Adding to the confusion, this name is sometimes alternatively spelled Sam Sanister, such as on the box art of 5914 Sam Sanister and Baby T (although Shop At Home calls the same set "5914 Sam Sinister and Baby T") and LEGO Racers 2.
The Orient Expedition subtheme would firmly establish Lord Sam Sinister as the character's name, using this name for all printed and online media in multiple languages. This name would continue to be used throughout the 2000s, including LEGOLAND Parks Land of Adventure attractions such as The Lost Kingdom Adventure and Journey to the Lost Temple.
As previously mentioned, the books Standing Small and LEGO Minifigure Ultimate Sticker Collection revert the character's name back to Baron Von Barron for the first time since 2000. However, these books contain multiple errors, such as referring to Slyboots as "Lord Sam Sinister" and "Mr. Hates".
In 2020, 10273 Haunted House is named the Manor Von Barron and is portrayed as the residence of this character. The press release and online description for the set refer to this character as Samuel Von Barron, combining his two most well-known names "Baron von Barron" and "Lord Sam Sinister". The designer video only refers to him as Baron von Barron.
- In LEGO Racers, Baron von Barron is the boss of the 5th circuit. This is one of the few places he is shown to have a German accent.
- In LEGO Island 2, Mr. Hates captured Dinosaurs. The player had to save them by flying a hot air balloon, winching them out of cages, and then had to drop sandbags on Mr. Hates so that he would fall off his brontosaurus, which shoots fire to stop you. He spoke in an English accent, and was assumed to be working for The Brickster.
- In LEGO Racers 2, Sam Sanister was the boss of the Dino Island world. He had to be defeated in a race in order to acquire a very powerful power-up for the player's car engine. His hook hand is oddly missing and he has 2 normal hands in this game.
- He makes cameo in a cutscene in 5784 Soccer Mania. However, he is not a playable character or even a member of the Adventurers Villains team.
- In The Lost Kingdom Adventure ride in LEGOLAND California, Lord Sam Sinister appears to be the main villain.
- In Die Jagd nach dem Pharaonenschatz, Mr. Hates is voiced by Klaus-Peter Kähler. In Journey to the Lost Temple, Lord Sam Sinister was portrayed by multiple actors, including Marty Martin, Drew Larson, and Jaysen Waller.
- 2879 Desert Expedition
- 3722 Treasure Tomb (Original)
- 5909 Treasure Raiders (Original)
- 5914 Sam Sinister and Baby T (Original)
- 5919 Treasure Tomb (Original)
- 5948 Desert Expedition (Original)
- 5955 All Terrain Trapper (Original)
- 5975 T-Rex Transport (Original)
- 5978 Sphinx Secret Surprise (Original)
- 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins (Original)
- 2541 Adventures Car (Original Without Eggplates)
- 5928 Bi-Wing Baron (Original With Brown Pilot Helmet)
- 5920 Island Racer (Original With Grey Pilot Helmet)
- 3381 Lord Sam Sinister (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7409 Secret of the Tomb (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7414 Elephant Caravan (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7416 Emperor's Ship (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7418 Scorpion Palace (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7419 Dragon Fortress (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7424 Black Cruiser (Orient Expedition Variation)
- 7417 Temple of Mount Everest (Orient Expedition Variation With Black Pilot Helmet)
- Video Game Appearances
- In LEGO Island 2, Mr. Hates was originally planned to make a comeback along with Cedric The Bull; he would have appeared during the Asteroids Belt game in an enemy ship shooting lasers, and in Brickster's Palace as an obstacle or possibly a boss while the player is ascending up the tower. Due to the game being severely rushed, this was scrapped; however, unused voice clips for him meant for these areas can still be found in the game's files
- ↑ LEGO Mania Magazine January/February 1998 - Page 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Standing Small - Page 36, Page 37, Page 38
- ↑ LEGO Mania Magazine November/December 1998 - Page 2
- ↑ LEGO Shop - All Terrain Trapper 5955
- ↑ Bricks 'n' Pieces March/April 1998 - Pages 2-3
- ↑ File:1998 Medium UK Cat Adventurers.jpg
- ↑ Bricks 'n' Pieces March/April 1998 - Page 15
- ↑ LEGO World Club Magazine March/April 1998 - Page 4
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Susanne Schindler-Günther – Die Jagd Nach Dem Pharaonenschatz (1998, Cassette) | Discogs
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 LEGO Time Cruisers Comics - Page 4 - LEGO Media Content - Rock Raiders United
- ↑ BrickLink - Gear Gstk037: Lego Sticker Sheet, Adventurers Sheet of 11 (4324846) [Sticker Sheet:Adventurers:Dino Island] - BrickLink Reference Catalog
- ↑ Curse of the Mummy (Lego Story Puzzles): 9781862087002: Amazon.com: Books
- ↑ File:LAM6-4.jpg
- ↑ LEGO Racers Parte 18 Sendero Amazonico Español
- ↑ LEGO Mania Magazine September/October 2000 - Page 2
- ↑ LEGO Shop - Sam Sinister & Baby T (5914)
- ↑ LEGO SYSTEM Adventurers : 1156
- ↑ Lost Kingdom Adventure Dark Ride by Sally Dark Rides
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Contact Ramada Inn Oceanside California CA Hotels Motels Accomodations
- ↑ Who is Who? Mr. Hates
- ↑ LEGO Minifigure Ultimate Sticker Collection - Page 13
- ↑ LEGO Haunted House 2020 - About us - LEGO.com US
- ↑ LEGO Haunted House | LEGO Creator Expert | LEGO.com | Official LEGO Shop US
- ↑ LEGO Haunted House | Scary Theme Park Ride | Designer Video 10273
|view · talk · editLEGO Island series|
|Video games:||LEGO Island | LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge | Island Xtreme Stunts|
|Island Xtreme Stunts sets:||3386 Pepper Roni | 3387 Brickster | 3388 Snap Lockitt | 3925 Brickster Key Chain | 6731 Skateboarding Pepper | 6732 Brickster's Trike | 6733 Snap's Cruiser | 6734 Beach Cruisers | 6735 Air Chase | 6736 Beach Lookout | 6737 Wake Rider | 6738 Skateboard Challenge | 6739 Truck & Stunt Trikes | 6740 Xtreme Tower|
|Characters:||Achu | Bill Ding | The Brickster | Brickster-Bots | Brickster's Henchmen | Captain D. Rom | Cedric the Bull | Dr. Clickitt | Dr. Kilroy | Enter | Gnarly Bones | Infomaniac | Islander | Johnny Thunder | King Leo | Laura Brick | Mama Brickolini | Mr. Hates | Nick Brick | Papa Brickolini | Pepper Roni | Pippin Read | Princess Storm | Queen Leonora | Return | Richard the Strong | Shugu | Sky Lane | Snap Lockitt | Super Station Master | Other Characters|
|Other:||2181 Infomaniac | Ogel Island|
|view · talk · editLEGO Racers series|
|Video games:||LEGO Racers | Rocket Racers | LEGO Racers 2 | Drome Racers | Drome Racers 2 | LEGO Racers CC | LEGO Racers (Mobile Game) | LEGO Racers: The Video Game|
|Characters:||Achu | Admiral | Alpha Draconis | Ann Droid | Baron Rosso | Basil the Bat Lord | Berg | Black Knight | Blackjack Hawkins | Captain Redbeard | Cassiopeia | Chill | Commander Cold | Duster | Fireman Gavin | Frankie Solido | Freeze | Ghost | Governor Broadside | Gypsy Moth | Islander | Joan of Kart | Johnny Thunder | King Kahuka | Lightor | Mac | Mike the Postman | Mr. Cunningham | Nova Hunter | P.C. Bobby | Pharaoh Hotep | Pippin Reed | Rigel | Rob-N-Hood | Roboracer | Rocket Racer | Royal King | Scooter | Sam Sinister (LEGO Racers/LEGO Racers 2) | Snake | Turbo Charger | Veronica Voltage | Warrior | Willa the Witch | Workman Fred|