Monty Moles are enemies that appear in several Mario games, where they dart out of holes in the ground to either quickly pursue the player or throw rocks at them. They also frequently appear in Whac-A-Mole-themed minigames across the franchise. They seem to have initially been based on the Rocky Wrench enemy from Super Mario Bros. 3 (itself described as a mole-like turtle at the time), but became a much more recurring enemy, with Rocky Wrenches eventually being redesigned to look like Monty Moles.
Monty Moles debut in Super Mario World in the stage Yoshi's Island 2. They pop out of random spots in the ground to surprise Mario or Luigi and will then chase after him persistently or walk and hop occasionally. The game also features Mega Moles, giant Monty Moles that Mario can actually ride on to get across obstacles, but can still be hit by one.
- 40414 Monty Mole & Super Mushroom Expansion Set
- 71363 Desert Pokey Expansion Set
- [[71406 Yoshi's Gift House Expansion Set
- 5006216 Starter Kit Bundle with Gift
- The Monty Mole is identical in design to the Goomba, albeit without 2x2 tiles on the front and back.