Riegel is a Martian minifigure who appeared in the Life on Mars theme. He was the leader of the Martians. He has appeared as a physical minifigure in just one set, although he has appeared in two video games.
Riegel is the leader of the Martians (at least the known ones, he claims to be leader of all Martians). He has been their leader for a long time, possibly over fifty years (based off the fact that Arcturus was said to be the leader sixty years ago). He is also the General of the Aero Tube Hangar, a Biodium mining outpost. He has a daughter, Cassiopeia. He tries his best to motivate all the Martians, and he dislikes laziness and disorder. His favorite foods are Space Slugs (possibly Slimy Slugs) and "Caviack".
When the Solar Explorer and its crew landed on Mars, Riegel was fighting against the Canyon Martians, who were stealing all the Biodium at the Aero Tube Hangar. If it kept up, Riegel would have to surrender not just the base, but all of Mars!
Initially, Riegel was suspicious of the humans, putting them through tests, as he first believed that they may be invaders (the Martians were annoyed with the probes Earth had been sending), or dumb "test animals". They were able to prove themselves in the end by exposing the spy and stopping the Canyon Martians. Riegel recogized the humans as allies and friends, even allowing his daughter to return to Earth with them.
In the January-February 2001 issue of LEGO Mania Magazine, he was described as such: "Reigel is the royal ruler of the red planet. Just like the star he is named for, Reigel is a giant star of the Martians. Riegel is a tough leader who keeps everyone digging for biodium."
LEGO Racers 2
Riegel appeared as a boss in LEGO Racers 2. Notably, instead of driving a car, Riegel drove his mech in his race against the player, saying that he didn't actually mention that his vehicle was a car. After being defeated by the player, Riegel stormed off, kicking his mech. The shield generator then fell off of the mech. Sparky then told the player that "Riegel probably won't mind if we borrow this". This allowed the player to advance to the next world.
Despite his outburst at the end of the race, Riegel returned on Xalax when the player defeats Rocket Racer, congratulating the player for his achievements, along with all of the other racers that the player has defeated one-on-one.
In the GBA version of the game Riegel drives a small UFO instead of his mech.
Riegel also appeared in the video game Soccer Mania, he appears as an unlockable footballer if the player completes the final stage in the Skill Zone mode Skills And Chills.
- Though called Rigel several times, Riegel is actually the most common spelling of his name. This is odd, since the star he is named after is spelled Rigel.
- Riegel is one of only two martians to have a different skin colour than Dark Turquoise, the other being Arcturus.
- In the PC version of LEGO Racers 2, Rigel has Dark Turquoise skin, and no insignia on his chest.
- Riegel's mech appears to be a modified (and much larger) version of 7313 Red Planet Protector. Riegel's mech, due to its shield generator, is immune to all of the player's weapons within races (although explosion placed on road can slow him), but he can't pick them up either. Interestingly, in the GBA version of LEGO Racers 2, a green and a blue version of Rigel appears.
- Many blue-coloured Riegel minifigures appear in LEGO Racers 2 in the Martian rejuvenator and guarding the warp tubes above the Martian base as spectators. Riegel minifigures pilot the Red Planet Cruiser, the Excavation Searcher, the Recon-Mech RP and a small craft. Exactly why the developers put Riegel duplicates in these places when it would have been more accurate to just use plain, generic Martians is unknown.
Video Game Appearances
|view · talk · editLEGO Racers series|
|Video games:||LEGO Racers | Rocket Racers | LEGO Racers 2 | Drome Racers | Drome Racers 2 | LEGO Racers CC | LEGO Racers (Mobile Game) | LEGO Racers: The Video Game|
|Characters:||Achu | Admiral | Alpha Draconis | Ann Droid | Baron Rosso | Baron von Barron / Sam Sanister | Basil the Bat Lord | Berg | Black Knight | Blackjack Hawkins | Captain Redbeard | Cassiopeia | Chill | Commander Cold | Duster | Fireman Gavin | Frankie Solido | Freeze | Gail Storm / Pippin Read | Ghost | Governor Broadside | Gypsy Moth | Islander | Joan of Kart | Johnny Thunder | King Kahuka | Lightor | Mac | Mike the Postman | Mr. Cunningham | Nova Hunter | P.C. Bobby | Pharaoh's Mummy | Riegel | Rob-N-Hood | Roboracer | Rocket Racer | Royal King | Scooter | Sam Sinister / Slyboots | Snake | Turbo Charger | Veronica Voltage | Warrior | Willa the Witch | Workman Fred|
|view · talk · editLife on Mars minifigures|
|Humans:||Assistant | BB | Doc | Mac|
|Martians:||Altair | Antares | Arcturus | Canopus | Cassiopeia | Centauri | Mizar | Pollux | Riegel | Vega | Unidentified Martians|