Rocket Racers is a former attraction in The Beginning area of LEGOLAND Windsor, first opened in 2000. It was an arcade style game based on LEGO Racers, with the software for it developed by Attention to Detail, who also developed LEGO Racers 2 (which released the following year in 2001).
Internally, it was named LEGO Racers LBE, or simply LEGO LBE, with LBE standing for Location Based Entertainment.
The attraction was initially open from Christmas 2000 to the end of the 2004 park season, when it was closed due to issues with reliability and availability of spare parts. After years of sitting unused for anything but storage space, it was revived for the 2009 season, with updated software and hardware. It was eventually closed again on October 9, 2011, this time permanently, for largely the same reasons.
The attraction first led guests through a richly themed queue line, with most of the decoration based on the game's Space track. The queue line also featured portraits of the original game's bosses on the walls, and a lengthy video playing on TV screens, similar to the animated intros from other LEGO video games of the era. The video showed a race between various characters, commentated by Barry Baloney (who would later re-appear in Soccer Mania).
After proceeding through the queue line, guests were shown a video tutorial for building their drivers and cars, narrated again by Barry Baloney, with a minifigure named Larry going through the process as an example. Guests were then guided into a room with 8 touchscreens to do it themselves. There were six of each minifigure parts to choose from - heads, facial expressions, hats, bodies, and legs. Guests were then presented with a choice of 3 car chassis, each of which had 3 bodies to choose from. Finally, they would enter their name. Time was limited on each stage, with selections made randomly once the timer expired.
Guests would then proceed to the racing room, where there were 8 racing pods. Each driver had to try to complete at least three laps in three minutes. There were two tracks, the first based on Magma Moon Marathon from the original LEGO Racers game (featuring Exploriens as in the original track, with the addition of Space Port), and the second being an Adventurers Egyptian track.
Brick-built statues of Rocket Racer and Captain Redbeard could be found on a winner's podium, with the #1 spot available for guests to take pictures. Some brick-built Rock Raiders figures could also be seen around the queue line, such as Jet climbing one of the crystals.
Official website descriptions
|This is a description taken from LEGOLAND Windsor. Do not modify it. (See an archive of the product's page)|
Design your very own virtual racing driver and car to your own specification before taking on the opposition on purpose built racing pods.
Anything Else I Need To Know?
|This is a description taken from ATD's website. Do not modify it. (See an archive of the product's page)|
LEGOLAND Windsor, UK
LEGO Racers LBE (Location Based Entertainment) is a new attraction at LEGOLAND Windsor. ATD have created the software for this attraction - a wonderfully fun racing experience aimed at 6-9 year olds. Using innovative touch screens you can build your own LEGO car and choose a LEGO driver. You then race against 7 other drivers over 3 laps of a crazy LEGO inspired track. And just for good measure there's a selection of collectable weapons that you can use to knock out the competition - all good clean fun!
This unique racing experience is fun for all the family. Guests design their own virtual racer and then compete against the others in their group (up to 8 players per game)
Format: LEGOLAND Windsor
Publisher: LEGO Media
- Rocket Racer appeared in the queue line video, with a few brief speaking roles, the only time he's had full voice acting besides his original voice clips while driving in LEGO Racers.
- Several car models in the queue line video are recycled from the animated intros/cutscenes in LEGO Stunt Rally and LEGO Island 2. Rocket Racer drove a version of Brad Speedo's car recolored to look similar to his original car in LEGO Racers.
- Veronica Voltage was playable, with her parts available while building a character.
- When the attraction was relaunched in 2009, an Easter egg was added where naming yourself "LAQ" (as Larry mistakenly does in the tutorial video) changed your camera view to first person.
- Some changes were also made to the building segment during the 2009-11 run, with tutorial text being added for both the "LAQ" Easter egg and a change that had been made to the physical controls of the racing pods, where the powerup firing button was moved from the center of the steering wheel to a button beside the wheel. Some of the cars had new/changed decals in their building screen appearances, but the in-game textures were not changed to match.
- Some of the vehicles in the game are loosely based on real sets, but modified to fit on common chassis: 6437 Beach Buggy, 6431 Road Rescue, 6436 Go-Kart, 6463 Lunar Rover, and the buggy from 6456 Mission Control.
- Rocket Racers at LEGOLAND Windsor
- An in-depth article on the attraction on Completely LEGOLAND Windsor
- A history of the park on Completely LEGOLAND Windsor
- The attraction's page on ATD's website while it was still being developed
- The attraction's page on ATD's website post-launch
- The attraction's page on the website of Rex Studios, who created many of its decorations
- Photos of the attraction
- A page for the attraction on an unofficial LEGOLAND guide
- The original entryway before the attraction's name change
- ↑ https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50119
- ↑ https://twitter.com/BTPArchive/status/1241735791036059650
|view · talk · editLEGO Racers series|
|Video games:||LEGO Racers | Rocket Racers | LEGO Racers 2 | Drome Racers | Drome Racers 2 | LEGO Racers CC | LEGO Racers (Mobile Game) | LEGO Racers: The Video Game|
|Characters:||Achu | Admiral | Alpha Draconis | Ann Droid | Baron Rosso | Baron von Barron / Sam Sanister | Basil the Bat Lord | Berg | Black Knight | Blackjack Hawkins | Captain Redbeard | Cassiopeia | Chill | Commander Cold | Duster | Fireman Gavin | Frankie Solido | Freeze | Gail Storm / Pippin Read | Ghost | Governor Broadside | Gypsy Moth | Islander | Joan of Kart | Johnny Thunder | King Kahuka | Lightor | Mac | Mike the Postman | Mr. Cunningham | Nova Hunter | P.C. Bobby | Pharaoh's Mummy | Riegel | Rob-N-Hood | Roboracer | Rocket Racer | Royal King | Scooter | Sam Sinister / Slyboots | Snake | Turbo Charger | Veronica Voltage | Warrior | Willa the Witch | Workman Fred|