The Hobbit takes place roughly around 60 years before the events of The Lord of the Rings. The story began at the hobbit-hole of Bilbo Baggins, where Gandalf the Grey asked him if he would like to go on an adventure, but he turned it down. Gandalf returned the next day with thirteen dwarfs, Thorin Oakenshield, Dori, Nori, Ori, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur. After explaining to Bilbo that they were to go on a quest to reclaim their gold from Smaug, a fearsome dragon who had destroyed the village on the mountain and taken everything. Much to Bilbo's disgust.
- 79000 Riddles for the Ring
- 79001 Fleeing from the Mirkwood Spiders
- 79002 Attack of the Wargs
- 79003 An Unexpected Gathering
- 79004 Escape in the Barrels
- 79010 The Goblin King Battle
- Although 79001 Escape from Mirkwood Spiders and 79004 Escape in the Barrels are released in the sub-theme of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey the sets themselves are based on scene's in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug as they were moved from the first movie to the second when the sets were in production.
- The Hobbit sets will introduce many new lego pieces. Including new beard pieces for all of the dwarves, head/hair pieces for Thorin Oakenshield, Kili, Fili, Misty Mountains Orcs, and Bofur's hat/hair piece. there are also new Warg pieces, and the new Goblin King body. Other new pieces include the new round window piece used in Bag End.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King